Ukraine Call for Applications
Fully-funded scholarships in Portugal for Ukrainian students and students from ukraine
2022-2023 Academic Year
with the sponsorship of Galp
This fully-funded scholarship programme seeks to support highly qualified students, graduates and researchers from Ukraine whose lives have been disrupted by the ongoing conflict and who want to pursue their studies in Portugal. This programme will begin in the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Scholarships will be awarded for full-time studies at any university/polytechnic institute in Portugal, notably those participating in the academic consortium that supports this programme.
- Scholarships will be are awarded for a minimum period of one (1) academic year and a maximum period of two (2) academic years.
- Scholarships will be awarded to students who seek to complete a BA degree, a MA degree or a MBA.
- Scholarships can also be awarded to researchers willing to pursue their researches at labs and institutes in Portugal, notably those participating in the scientific network that supports this programme.
- Applicants for STEM fields are strongly encouraged to apply, in particular female candidates.
- Successful students might be offered internship opportunities notably at GALP company.
- The studies in the Medical Sciences and the learning of new languages are excluded from this Scholarship Programme (except the learning of Portuguese language which will be mandatory for all scholarship holders).
The requirements for applying for a scholarship are:
- Have Ukrainian nationality or be a foreign national of other nationality or stateless person who are a beneficiary of international protection in Ukraine or be a permanent resident in Ukraine or have a temporary residence permit, or be in possession of a long term visa aimed at obtaining this type of permit and whose safe and lasting return to the country of origin is not possible.
- Benefit from temporary international protection in Portugal
- Be at least 18 years old by the time the programme begins;
- Hold a higher secondary certificate and have an excellent average grade;
- Have completed at least one year with excellent marks and be interested in pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s or a MBA;
- Have an excellent average grade in your previous school-leaving certificate or university degree;
- Have English level B2 or Portuguese B2 language skills (depending on the degree and the study programme);
- Have a strong interest in a professional qualification;
- Have strong motivation to contribute to your community;
- Have financial need to continue your education;
If you meet the above qualifications, you are invited to apply for one of our scholarships enabling you to continue your studies in Portugal.
As these scholarships are fully-funded, your award includes the following:
- university tuition fees
- accommodation at University residences (when necessary)
- a monthly allowance
- travel costs to and from Portugal (when applicable)
This scholarship programme is the outcome of a multi-stakeholders initiative bringing together higher education institutions in Portugal and GALP company that will be implemented by the Nexus 3.0 Association. It aims at providing support to Ukrainian students and students from Ukraine affected by the war to enable them to pursue their education. War-torn Ukraine cannot afford a lost generation of university graduates. It needs its young people to be prepared and qualified to rebuild the country. Education enhances resilience and builds hope for the future.
Please provide full and accurate information requested as well as copy of all documents listed in the form.
If you have any questions regarding the scholarship or the application process, please contact Helena Barroco at the Board of the Nexus 3.0 – send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission of applications:
30 June 2022 (COB)
Deadline extended until 6 July (COB)
- Copy of the page of your passport with your personal details.
- Copy of your residence permit in Ukraine (when applicable)
- Copy of document issued by SEF (Portugal) on your international protection status or copy of the request submitted (if it the procedures are still in progress)
- Copy of your previous diplomas
- Copy of your transcript of marks
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of special financial need – if possible
- Motivation letter: please explain why you need this scholarship opportunity
- Application Agreement. Download it here:
Call for Applications Open
From 20 to
Deadline extended until 6 July (COB)
- Compile required documents
- Fill in the application form
- Submit applications
- Read the Call for Applications Notes
- Be sure to make a list of all the materials & documents you’ll need to submit as part of your application. This includes: writing personal statements, filling out information about your history as a student and any other data requested.
- Allocate some 2 to 3 hours to fill in the form accurately
- Make sure you review each item step by step
- Submit it some days before the deadline as you can face some unexpected problem such as lack of internet etc.
From 30 June to 15 July
- Review of applications
- From 1st July to 6th July
Review of scholarship applications by select committees
- 7st July
Shortlisted candidates notified of the date of their virtual interviews
- From 11 to 13 July
Interviews of shortlisted candidates by members of select committees
Announcement of final results
From 15 to 27 July
- Notification of candidates
- 15 July
Selected candidates notified
- From 18 to 23 July
Selected students to be informed of offered scholarship terms of reference and Letters of Agreement (LoA) to be sent out to students for their perusal, acceptance and signature
- 27 July
Deadline for students to accept offered scholarship and return their LoA signed.
Deadline for all other applicants to hear about their scholarship applications
Frequently asked questions
Applicants should upload: their previous diploma or degree certificate and a transcript of marks, as long as it is an official document from your university that proves your degree and/or grades. We require the original documents to be uploaded and a translation into English. The translation doesn’t need to be certified, it can be “unofficial”.
Yes, but to apply you can submit an unofficial translation though later on some universities/higher education institutions may require a certified translation of your transcript documents.
Applicants should upload: page of your passport with your personal details; your residence permit in Ukraine (when applicable); document issued by SEF (Portugal) granting you international protection status or copy of the request submitted (if the procedures are still in progress)
You can submit your application without a valid passport. However, you will be required to submit a valid passport if you are selected
You can submit your application without it but have to prove that you have requested this status. However, you will be required to submit it if you are short-listed
Further to ID and education documents, applicants should also upload: your curriculum vitae; your motivation letter explaining why you need this scholarship opportunity; proof of special need (if available) and reference letters (optional). Do not Forget to uplaod your Application Agreement which is available on-line.
Reference letters which are optional do not need to have handwritten signatures, but your referees may be contacted for verification.
No, you cannot write your own reference.
References not written in English must be translated. Unofficial translations are accepted but originals should be submitted as well.
If your query is regarding an issue that will not prevent you from submitting your application (such as a spelling error in your name, an incorrect date of birth, an incorrect country of residence etc.), this may be dealt with after the application window has closed. Please ensure that you submit your application as soon as possible.
No within this scholarship programme a candidate that is selected will receive an offer that includes the university/higher education institution chosen for you.
No. These scholarships are available for study in Portugal only.
No, these scholarships are available for study in Portugal only.
No. Applications for Medical Sciences and the learning of new languages are excluded from this scholarship programme (except the learning of Portuguese language which will be mandatory for all scholarship holders).
Scholarships will be are awarded for a minimum period of one (1) academic year and a maximum period of two (2) academic years subject to successful results over the first year.
Scholarships will be awarded to students who seek to complete a BA degree, a MA degree or a PhD degree. Scholarships can also be awarded to researchers willing to pursue their researches at labs and institutes in Portugal, notably those participating in the scientific network that supports this programme.
No. These scholarships cover full-time courses only.
You cannot make changes to your course choices in the online application system after you have submitted your application. If you wish to change your course choices, you must inform your interviewers of this during your interview.
No, you do not need to resign from full-time employment in order to apply for the scholarship. However, you are personally responsible for ensuring that you will be able to accept the scholarship offer when it’s made and that your employer will release you in time to be a full-time students when the 2022-2022 academic year begins .
You are asked to provide details of your work experience in the application form such as the name of your employer(s), job title(s), and dates of employment. If you are shortlisted to interview, you may be asked to provide references, which may be verified by the Nexus 3.0.
Be aware that that the application form is a “one shot template form”. The best strategy is to proceed step by step before starting filling in the form: firstly, compile all documents and materials required; make sure that you have good quality copies of them; secondly make sure you have all requested information available in order to be accurate in filling in the application form; thirdly, allocate some 2 or 3 hours to be fully focused on filling-in this “one shot application form”. Please be aware that once you start filling in the form, you have to complete it and submit it as data in the form will not be saved for later on.
You will get a confirmation message that your application has been successfully submitted .
You can only submit one scholarship application during each application period.
No. Applications must be submitted online.
The interview will be an opportunity to discuss some of the information you provided in the application form. The panel will ask questions that will enable you to fully explain your personal, academic and professional aspirations and how the scholarship can facilitate these goals for you. As part of your interview, your courses and/or programme choice will also be further discussed
The interview panel will notably include representatives from the Nexus 3.0 and from the academic community.
You will need to show your passport or another form of ID.
No. The interview will be competency-based.
You should give the Nexus 3.0 at least two working days’ notice should you be unable to attend at your scheduled time. Only in exceptional circumstances will an additional appointment be made available. Failure to attend your interview may result in your withdrawal from the application process.
Yes. All scholarship candidates will be notified about the outcome of their interview latest by the end of July.
All applications undergo a rigorous review and selection process. Applications are first sifted and checked against initial eligibility criteria. Applications are then individually reviewed by independent select committees who score applications and make a shortlist of candidates to be interviewed.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified about the outcome of their interview by mid July. Please note that other results from the Call are released gradually, so you may receive your results sooner or later than others but never later than end of July.
As these scholarships are fully-funded, your award includes the following: tuition fees; accommodation at University residences (when necessary); a monthly allowance to cover life expenses; travel costs to and from Portugal (when applicable)
Yes, this is part of your international protection package awarded by Portugal.
If you need wellbeing support, you should contact the Nexus 3.0 as the project manager will be available to help finding the best solution for your case.
Some internet email providers automatically direct emails from Nexus 3.0 to your spam/ junk mail folders. To ensure that you receive emails from us, please put our email address on your ‘allow list’ and check your spam/junk mail folders
Get in touch, get involved, join us